1. According to different power sources, automobile engines can be divided into diesel engines, gasoline engines, electric vehicle motors, and hybrid power.
2. According to the working mode of the air intake system, it can be divided into four types: natural aspiration, turbocharging, mechanical charging and double charging.
3. According to the piston movement mode, it can be divided into reciprocating piston internal combustion engine and rotary piston engine.
4. According to the type of cylinder arrangement, there are in-line engines, V-type engines, W-type engines and horizontally opposed engines.
5. According to the number of cylinders, it can be divided into single-cylinder engine and multi-cylinder engine. Modern cars mostly use three-cylinder, four-cylinder, six-cylinder, and eight-cylinder engines.
6. According to different cooling methods, it can be divided into water-cooled engine and air-cooled engine. The water-cooled engine has uniform cooling, reliable operation and good cooling effect, and is widely used in modern vehicle engines.
7. According to the number of strokes, it can be divided into four-stroke internal combustion engine and two-stroke internal combustion engine. Four-stroke internal combustion engines are widely used in automobile engines.
8. Classified by fuel supply mode: carburetor engine, electronic injection engine and direct injection engine in cylinder.